Thursday, June 18, 2009

June 19

Yesterday (june 18) we went to Reef HQ. Reef HQ is an aquarium and research center in Townsville with the worlds largest saltwater reef exhibit. They gave us a few lectures about Reef Management, sustainability, and fisheries before giving us a tour of the aquarium.

Here's the group checking out some sharks and swordfish.

After the aquarium, our group did a service project which included removing two types of invasive weeds, Mother of Millions, and another weed which I dont know the name of right now. While weeding, we disturbed a few nests of those little green-assed ants I wrote about earlier. They were attacking us pretty much the whole time. Awesome.

After weeding we checked out a pretty nice view from a lookout point on the magnetic island. We came back to the resort via bus and studied for a bit. Maybe it's me, but the busses seem to drive a little crazy here, or maybe its just that the road is super windy with granite cliffs. Anyway, after we got back we had a group discussion about the papers we need to write for our module quiz. We sipped drinks by the poolside while discussing our subjects. (Is this a vacation of a study abroad trip?)

Today we have the option to pay $50 for a snorkeling boat tour around magnetic island, or we could have a free day. It is quite apparent that everyone needs a free day for studying, but I think most everyone will be aboard the boat instead. I for one am staying back studying, and writing the four papers I have due tomorrow. Hopefully I can make up for my failed first quiz.

Tomorrow, (Saturday in Australia) after handing in our papers, we board a different boat, the Kalinda, and will spend three days and three nights staying on the water doing research on the Great Barrier Reef. It's interesting, how protected the reef is. The area we're going into is classified as a "green area," and we actually need permits to enter the area for research purposes.

Needless to say, I'm really excited about diving into the water with my waterproof camera. Hopefully the water on the reef will be clear. If so, my next post will likely have some amazing underwater photos!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're having a blast man. You better watch out for the iracongi! So guess what... we got the house we wanted yesterday! Party central! Anyways, have fun man.

    ReplyDelete